Temporary ∙ Remote
Looking for a rewarding career to make meaningful change? For more than 25 years, ZERO Prostate Cancer has been a powerful force fighting for a cure and providing critical support to patients and families. As the leading national nonprofit with the mission to end prostate cancer, ZERO advances research, improves the lives of all who are impacted by the disease, and inspires action. ZERO holds the record for the most times recognized among the Best Nonprofits to Work For by the NonProfit Times (eight out of the last nine), it is clear we make supporting our team and community a top priority. Our commitment to providing an award-winning culture that fosters growth, camaraderie, and diversity is unwavering. ZERO’s high responsibility and high freedom philosophy helps team members excel professionally and thrive personally while making a life-saving difference for those impacted by this devastating disease. Working at ZERO means more than a job, it means being part of an incredible community of people that inspires each other every day.
ZERO is looking for immediate help in assisting the Central Western and East Coast Metro chapters with their Run/Walk portfolio. This is a temporary role with a focus on driving fundraising, sponsorships, and event management of Run/Walk events as part of ZERO’s National Run/Walk Series. Reporting to the National Director, Chapters, the Event Manager will concentrate on developing relationships, securing sponsors, and stewarding teams and registered participants.
ZERO strives to empower our team through three key values which are being humble, hungry, and smart. Our team members demonstrate they are humble by working together and defining success collectively. They are hungry to advance our mission, while going above and beyond. In addition, they are emotionally smart by understanding how their actions impact others.
- Work alongside practice partners to engage and assist them through their fundraising and promotional efforts with staff and patients.
- Solicit sponsorships and coach teams and top fundraisers in peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Monitor the performance of fundraisers and fundraising teams to ensure timely responsiveness to new registrants, recognize fundraisers, encourage competition, and to spark new ideas to deepen fundraising results.
- Lead existing volunteer committees and build new volunteer groups to assist with the production and fundraising of each Run/Walk event.
- Develop grassroots outreach plans to attract participants, teams, and sponsors with a vested interest in the cause.
- Develop and execute volunteer plans for pre-race and race day; recruit, assign, manage, organize, train, and communicate with event day and event planning committee members.
- Request, secure, and manage in-kind donations as needed.
- Attend in-person events as needed.
- Make phone calls to increase the number of participants for events.
- Steward team captains and individual participants to increase and strengthen fundraising efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize and motivate individuals to achieve goals.
- Demonstrated ability to identify opportunities for growth in relationships.
- Must be comfortable talking on the phone and occasionally cold calling.
- Must be comfortable making an ask for donations and sponsorships.
- Excellent and well-demonstrated project management skills.
- Exemplifies ZERO’s culture of humble, hungry, and smart.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work across teams/departments.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years of professional experience in empowering individuals to fundraise through peer-to-peer style events.
- Prior experience with run or walk event management.
- Experience with fundraising databases such as Blackbaud systems.
- Constant use of a computer and other office productivity equipment, such as computer printer, calculator, and copier.
- Prolonged periods of a stationary position at least 50% of the time.
- The ability to recognize details at close range for extended periods of time.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
This role will report directly to the National Director, Chapters and will work closely with Chapter Development staff and the Events team to support ZERO’s mission to end prostate cancer.
This position is a remote opportunity and candidates can live anywhere within the U.S.
ZERO Prostate Cancer is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees. We encourage BIPOC, Veterans, individuals with Disabilities, and those affected by prostate cancer to apply. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing the application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to LaTondria Carter, Director, Human Resources at 202-935-5938 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further consideration, email your resume, cover letter, and hourly rate expectation to email@example.com with “National Chapters, Event Manager” as the subject line. To learn more about ZERO Prostate Cancer, visit zerocancer.org.