What is fatigue?
Fatigue is a lingering feeling of tiredness that prevents you from participating in your daily activities. This is not the same feeling of tiredness caused from extreme exercise or over exertion.
What causes fatigue?
Many men experience fatigue as a side effect of androgen deprivation therapy or chemotherapy. However, there are several causes of fatigue.
Tell your doctor if you are feeling fatigued. Together, you can work to find out the cause and plan a management strategy for your fatigue.
How can I manage fatigue?
Generally fatigue will begin to decrease as time progresses. However, some people will have to cope with it for an extended period of time. Here are some tips on managing your fatigue:
- Eat a nutritious diet
- Set realistic goals for what you want to accomplish each day
- What time of day do you have the most energy? Try to schedule high-effort activities during that time
- Try to get eight hours of sleep each night
- Take time to rest during the day as you need
- Try to be physically active, start slowly and work up to a comfortable level
- Ask for and allow others to help you