ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer hosts the nation’s largest event series solely dedicated to prostate cancer. This fall, ZERO will host virtual and in-person events in dozens of cities across the country. ZERO is seeking a press outreach intern for the summer and fall semesters who will assist with incoming press inquiries, press outreach, managing media lists, and more.
We’re looking for a fast-learner with an interest in working with members of the media, and ideally, an existing understanding of the media landscape. Though unpaid, interns will gain public relations experience and shadow the communications staff in conducting media outreach on a national and local level for various sized markets. Interns will also gain experience creating press content and compelling storytelling features.
This position will report to the Director of Communications and will serve 10-40 hours per week, dependent upon the candidate.
- Assist with creating copy for ZERO’s news releases, PSAs, fact sheets, e-newsletters, web updates, and other external materials related to the Run/Walk series
- Assist with distribution and publication of news releases and PSAs
- Monitor news outlets for ZERO Run/Walk coverage and assemble media reports
- Maintain an up-to-date media database via Cision and other software tools
- Assist in managing press inquiries and coordinating logistics for media interviews
- Covering other administrative duties as needed
- Junior, Senior, or recent grad (AA or BA) studying public relations, journalism, communications, or English
- Interest in cause-driven and mission-driven work
- Nonprofit, event, or public relations agency experience
- Excellent writing skills and strong organizational skills
- Willingness to take initiative and motivation to seek new learning opportunities
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
- Ability to meet deadlines
- WordPress, HTML, Cision, Slack, and/or Twitter experience
- Public relations experience or abilities
- Experience working remotely
- PRSSA member
- Public relations or journalism role on a student newspaper or in a fraternal organization
- Reside in the EST time zone
Part-time internships are available between the hours of 9 am-5 pm, Monday through Friday. With communication, the start and end days of the internship are flexible.
Interested applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter. Please include ‘Media Outreach Internship’ in the subject line. Please include the job site that referred you to this position in your cover letter.