At ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer, we believe our culture is the foundation to our success. We’re seeking a progressive Director, Human Resources to champion and amplify our culture of peer leadership, self-management, and empowerment that has led us to become a growing patient powerhouse and has landed us in The NonProfit Times’ 50 Best Places to Work For seven times.
Preferred Director, Human Resources candidates will be those who have studied and subscribe to the philosophies of workplace culture thought leaders like Patrick Lencioni, Simon Sinek, Brené Brown, and Kim Scott.
The Director, Human Resources will be responsible for not only championing workplace culture, but also proactively driving guerilla recruitment strategies and tactics. Additionally, the Director, Human Resources will set, evaluate, and enforce legally compliant Human Resources policies, administer employee benefits while seeking cost-effective opportunities to remain on the bleeding edge of nonprofit employment benefits, manage onboarding and offboarding, and identify and implement long-term strategic talent management goals and career paths. The Director, Human Resources will also act as the main point of contact for employees’ queries on HR-related topics.
- Champion ZERO’s culture while working closely with the CEO, management team, and the Senior Director, Operations to construct ongoing training tools while helping implement the tools across the organization
- Build strategies for proactive employee relations to ensure healthy relationships and engagement with all employees; oversee resolution of escalated issues as needed
- Serve as ZERO’s primary recruiter, for staff and interns, building a strong network of relationships with referral partners, institutions, and individuals to create a robust pipeline for qualified and diverse candidates to join the team
- Oversee all facets of the employee experience including hiring, onboarding, training, celebrating wins, and offboarding
- Support diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts throughout ZERO
- Establish credibility throughout the organization with management and employees in order to be an effective problem solver of people issues
- Oversee HR policy development, maintenance, interpretation, and administration
- Monitor and implement effective administrative practices applicable to local, state, and federal laws
- Lead day-to-day employment benefit programs with the goal of delivering best in class and value benefits
- Manage “ZERO University”, an initiative aimed at making our staff the best self-managers while helping coach and guide leaders to better manage their teams as well as performance improvement and scaffold workforce planning
- Participate in professional development and networking conferences and events and share best practices with leadership, including maintaining SHRM membership and attending annual conferences and chapter meetings
- Manage updates to employee handbooks and policies
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of progressive HR philosophies
- Demonstrate ZERO’s three employee virtues — humble, hungry, and smart
- Well-rounded knowledge of the full HR function
- Able to build trust and handle confidential matters with high integrity
- Able to understand the implication of decisions and actions on work groups within and outside one’s immediate area of responsibility
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, along with their tools
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with Google Suite and/or Microsoft Office
Education and Experience:
- Eight to 10 years of experience in Human Resources
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field
- Professional certification preferred, such as SHRM-CP/SCP or PHR/SPHR
Some of ZERO’s benefits include:
- Medical and dental insurance
- ZERO pays 100% for employee (prorated dependent/family option)
- High deductible health plan (featuring an HSA) is offered
- Flexible Spending Account
- Vision insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- 403(b) retirement plan (with partial match potential)
- Employer-paid short term/long term disability insurance
This position can be based anywhere in the continental U.S.
ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage BIPOC, Veterans, and all those affected by prostate cancer to apply. Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
This is a full-time, salaried, and remote position. Interested individuals should email their resume, cover letter, and salary requirement to HR@zerocancer.org with “Director, Human Resources”’ in the subject line. In sending your materials, please also include the job site that referred you to this position in your cover letter.