Full-Time ∙ Exempt-Salaried ∙ Remote
Looking for a rewarding career to make meaningful change? For more than 25 years, ZERO Prostate Cancer has been a powerful force fighting for a cure and providing critical support to patients and families. As the leading national nonprofit with the mission to end prostate cancer, ZERO advances research, improves the lives of all who are impacted by the disease, and inspires action. ZERO holds the record for the most times recognized among the Best Nonprofits to Work For by the NonProfit Times (eight out of the last nine), it is clear we make supporting our team and community a top priority. Our commitment to providing an award-winning culture that fosters growth, camaraderie, and diversity is unwavering. ZERO’s high responsibility and high freedom philosophy helps team members excel professionally and thrive personally while making a life-saving difference for those impacted by this devastating disease. Working at ZERO means more than a job, it means being part of an incredible community of people that inspire each other every day.
ZERO is seeking a strategic and dynamic Director of Communications and Digital Media to play a key role in making ZERO a household name. This position will collaborate across teams to amplify ZERO’s mission and impact by directing and executing proactive, multi-media strategies to increase awareness, support, and engagement with the prostate cancer cause. This individual is a talented leader, storyteller, and relationship-builder who will leverage their skills to improve and save lives and take ZERO’s communications to new heights.
ZERO strives to empower our team through three key values which are being humble, hungry, and smart. Our team members demonstrate they are humble by working together and defining success collectively. They are hungry to advance our mission, while going above and beyond. In addition, they are emotionally smart by understanding how their actions impact others.
- Lead and collaborate on campaigns to elevate disease awareness and the patient voice, build ZERO’s brand, and drive results to meet and exceed goals.
- Drive ZERO’s social media strategy to increase and diversify its reach and digital footprint through existing and new tactics.
- Develop and successfully activate local and national media relationships and corporate partnerships to generate awareness and support for ZERO’s mission and establish ZERO as a household name.
- Lead ZERO’s video production and the collection, creation, and integration of prostate cancer community stories into media campaigns, as well as materials and online assets.
- Direct partnership and program deliverables, including educational and support materials and event communications, website content, and other collateral.
- Lead ZERO’s website content development to continually enhance the digital experience and maximize engagement, retention, and acquisition.
- Champion ZERO’s voice, established brand guidelines, personas, and organizational key messages to ensure continuity and adherence across all communications.
- Position ZERO and its leadership, board members, and key Champions as thought leaders through secured media engagements, speaking opportunities, and third-party recognitions.
- Direct and elevate ZERO’s annual calendar of communications, including print pieces, podcasts, blog articles, newsletters, photography, and other assets.
- Support and advance internal communications to increase clarity and alignment across the organization and reinforce ZERO’s culture.
- Achieve communications goals and objectives and regularly report impact, metrics, and milestones to measure progress.
- Review effectiveness of communication materials and digital platforms, making adjustments and enhancements as necessary to continually improve results.
- Build, manage, and mentor an effective team of direct reports, including ZERO’s Social Media Manager, Program Communications Manager, Coordinator of Digital Media, and other communications professionals as needed.
- Proficiency in Associated Press (AP) Style of writing.
- Superior writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- A decision maker that is tech-savvy and data-driven.
- Ability to inspire trust, clarity, and consensus within a complex, fast-paced, and changing environment.
- Proven ability to think strategically, listen and learn proactively, take initiative, and constantly seek ways to enhance and innovate.
- Outstanding leadership skills in addition to project management and being comfortable juggling a multitude of projects and tasks.
- Ability to remain cool and calm under pressure while paying close attention to detail is critical.
- Exemplifies ZERO’s culture of humble, hungry, and smart.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work across teams/departments.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 6+ years of professional experience managing multi-channel communications, press, social media, production projects, and teams at a national nonprofit or relevant organization.
- Demonstrated expertise in successfully pitching and placing stories (i.e., earned media, TV, print, web, social) and the creation, execution, and evaluation of national awareness campaigns that met and/or exceeded goals.
- Master of Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Constant use of a computer and other office productivity equipment, such as computer printer, calculator, and copier.
- Prolonged periods of a stationary position at least 50% of the time.
- The ability to recognize details at close range for extended periods of time.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
One of many reasons to join the ZERO team is because we offer great benefits!
- Unlimited PTO
- 403(b) retirement plan matching
- Employer paid benefits include: Medical, Dental, Short-Term Disability, & Long-Term Disability insurance
- Vision insurance
This role will report directly to the Senior Director, Social Media and Video Production and will work closely with other Directors across the team to support ZERO’s mission to end prostate cancer.
This position is based remotely and candidates may live in any area within the United States. This position will require nationwide travel approximately 10% of the time (once per quarter).
ZERO Prostate Cancer is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees. We encourage BIPOC, Veterans, individuals with Disabilities, and those affected by prostate cancer to apply. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing the application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to LaTondria Carter, Director, Human Resources at 202-935-5938 or email@example.com.
For further consideration, email your resume, cover letter, and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Communications and Digital Media” as the subject line. To learn more about ZERO Prostate Cancer, visit zerocancer.org.