Full-Time ∙ Exempt-Salaried ∙ Remote
Looking for a rewarding career to make meaningful change? For more than 25 years, ZERO has been a powerful force fighting for a cure to prostate cancer and providing critical support to patients and families. As the leading national nonprofit with the mission to end prostate cancer, ZERO advances research, improves the lives of all who are impacted by the disease, and inspires action. Recognized for the past eight years as one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The NonProfit Times, it is clear that we make supporting our team a top priority. Our commitment to providing an award-winning culture that fosters growth, camaraderie, and diversity is unwavering. ZERO’s high responsibility and high freedom philosophy helps team members excel professionally and thrive personally while making a life-saving difference for those impacted by this devastating disease. Working at ZERO means more than a job, it means being part of an incredible community of people that inspires each other every day.
ZERO is seeking a motivated self-starter who has an entrepreneurial spirit, thrives on being adaptable and collaborative, and someone with a can-do attitude to run the Northern California region. The Chapter Director role is focused on growing the local presence of ZERO by amplifying ZERO’s patient support programs, drawing supporters to the cause, and raising funds to advance the organization’s mission. This role will report to the Regional Director, Central & Western Chapters. The Director, Northern California Chapter will build upon existing events and relationships within the territory. The Chapter Director will foster these relationships to develop and implement strategies that cultivate and recruit new corporate and medical sponsors for the Run/Walk and other non-event initiatives.
A vital part of the role includes stewarding strong volunteers, managing and expanding the ZERO Champions program, and supporting and growing ZERO’s fundraising programs. ZERO’s fundraising programs include ZERO Prostate Cancer Run/Walk events and the Grow & Give campaign. The Director, Northern California Chapter will also promote local education and awareness initiatives while serving as the liaison for all ZERO events and program and advocacy-related activities in their region.
ZERO strives to empower our team through three key values which are being humble, hungry, and smart. Our team members demonstrate they are humble by working together and defining success collectively. They are hungry to advance our mission, while going above and beyond. In addition, they are emotionally smart by understanding how their actions impact others.
- Partner with other departments to establish and implement planning timelines, income goals, expense budgets, chapter operational plan, and participant recruitment strategies.
- Manage, cultivate and grow portfolio of donors, corporations, advocates, major fundraisers, team captains, and medical partners year-round.
- Develop and grow Individual Giving and Social Fundraising revenue goals by 20% in FY22.
- Steward and create a volunteer pipeline for local event committee members including future ZERO Champions and other needs, such as local community engagement opportunities.
- Develop strategies to attract new corporate partnerships.
- Cultivate relationships with key ZERO partners in the medical community including prostate cancer case managers/navigators to ensure a growing pipeline of patient referrals.
- Manage chapter fundraisers such as Grow & Give.
- Serve as a vital prostate cancer resource for urology practices in the region and represent ZERO at all chapter events (Run/Walks, endurance events, corporate speaking engagements, fundraising campaigns, wellness fairs, and other special events).
- Responsible for sponsorship acquisition revenue through three key ZERO Run/Walk events in Sacramento, Oakland, and Napa Valley. Tasks include retaining and elevating past sponsors, as well as prospecting new leads.
- Lead and manage peer-to-peer fundraising revenue through three key ZERO Run/Walk events in Sacramento, Oakland, and Napa Valley. Tasks include working with past team captains, the recruitment of new teams, and individual fundraisers.
- Work with host partners and/or committees to implement and coordinate all aspects of the event.
- Identify new opportunities to add Run/Walk or golf tee-off events in designated territory in 2023 and beyond.
- Demonstrated ability to identify opportunities for growth in relationships and revenue through strategic planning, mobilization, and motivation.
- Proven success in fundraising with local corporations and peer-to-peer.
- The energy, drive, and experience in creating and growing a regional chapter, which includes revenue, partnerships, and relationships.
- Ability to take Initiative, work independently, and to work collaboratively with a team.
- Ability to manage numerous concurrent and developing projects.
- An unparalleled commitment to raising awareness and support for prostate cancer.
- Excellent and well-demonstrated project management skills.
- Exemplifies ZERO’s culture of humble, hungry, and smart.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work across teams/departments.
- 5+ years of professional work experience in empowering individuals to fundraise or volunteer.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Ability to use multiple cloud-based systems (Google Workspace, Raiser’s Edge, Luminate Online, Slack, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, business, marketing/communications. preferred or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 5+ years of professional nonprofit experience.
- Preferred training in peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Constant use of a computer and other office productivity equipment, such as computer printer, calculator, and copier.
- Prolonged periods of a stationary position at least 50% of the time.
- The ability to recognize details at close range for extended periods of time.
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Frequently move boxes and equipment weighing up to 20 pounds at events such as Run/Walks.
- Frequent movement across multiple different terrains/surfaces while outdoors at Run/Walks.
One of many reasons to join the ZERO team is because we offer great benefits!
- Unlimited PTO
- 403(b) retirement plan matching
- Employer paid benefits include: Medical, Dental, Short-Term Disability, & Long-Term Disability insurance
- Vision insurance
This role will report directly to the Regional Director, Central & Western Chapters and will work closely with the events and development departments to support ZERO’s mission to end prostate cancer.
This position is based remotely and candidates may live in Northern California. However, preference will be given to those who live within the greater San Francisco Bay or Greater Sacramento areas. While travel is currently limited due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this position will eventually require nationwide travel approximately 20% of the time (approximately 2-3 trips per quarter).
ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees. We encourage BIPOC, Veterans, individuals with Disabilities and those affected by prostate cancer to apply. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing the application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to LaTondria Carter, Director, Human Resources at 202-935-5938 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further consideration, email your resume, cover letter, and salary expectation to email@example.com with “Director, Northern California Chapter” as the subject line. To learn more about ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer, visit zerocancer.org.