Are you a self-proclaimed policy nerd or wonk? Are you interested in helping promote cancer-friendly legislation at state and federal levels? Then you might be the ideal candidate for the role of Assistant, Government Relations & Advocacy at ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer.
This is an entry- level position that reports to the Vice President, Government Relations & Advocacy. The ideal candidate is a motivated, highly organized, adaptable, team player with an interest in the federal, state, and grassroots advocacy efforts of the organization.
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to:
- Coordinate the management and prioritization of daily advocacy tasks and long-term responsibilities, including tracking government relations and advocacy sponsorship deliverables.
- Provide administrative support to the Government Relations & Advocacy team.
- Assist in the development of policy materials including fact sheets, blog posts, issue briefs, presentations, action alerts, and other policy work.
- Maintain the advocacy pages of ZERO’s website, including updated resource materials and opportunities for grassroots engagement.
- Work under supervision to help initiate, manage, and coordinate outreach to federal, state, and local elected officials and agencies.
- Help to develop ZERO’s grassroots advocacy program at state and federal levels. Recruit advocates, build their involvement in the cause, and leverage their energy into excitement and execution around policy initiatives.
- Perform research to support federal and state policy and advocacy efforts.
- Assist in the coordination of government relations and advocacy events, including fly-ins.
- Coordinate the development and execution of policy activities in assigned areas.
- Assist in the development and execution of new advocacy programming to grow ZERO’s grassroots capacity.
- Schedule and support meetings for the Veterans Prostate Cancer Working Group and maintain the rosters of the Veterans Working Group and the 50 Vets in 50 States initiative.
- Attend coalition meetings with like-minded organizations and report back and help strategize next steps.
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess The Following:
- A demonstrated interest and experience in policy, advocacy, politics, and the policymaking process.
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills, including the ability to recognize and verbalize priorities and help to execute on them in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to create materials for a wide range of audiences.
- Demonstrate ZERO’s three employee virtues — humble, hungry, and smart.
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines while managing multiple tasks/projects simultaneously and accurately.
- Ability to work independently and reliably.
- A friendly, flexible, professional, and open demeanor and genuine enthusiasm for helping others.
- Adaptable, dependable, and enthusiastic work ethic.
- Ability to recruit and build relationships with volunteer advocates and counterparts at like-minded organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, pre-law, or a related field, or equivalent work experience in a nonprofit or campaign setting.
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
Once the ZERO office reopens, this position will be based in the ZERO headquarters office in Old Town Alexandria, in the Washington, D.C. area. The option for remote work when possible is available. When it becomes safe to do so, this position will frequently attend policy meetings on Capitol Hill and around the D.C. metro area.
Interested candidates should apply by emailing their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please use the subject line of “Assistant, GR & Adv” when sending over your materials.
ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage BIPOC, Veterans, and all those affected by prostate cancer to apply. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.