COVID-19, Prostate Cancer, and Us TOO
We are doing our best to keep up with the latest on COVID-19. Updates will be made here regularly.
As of now, Us TOO staff are all operating remotely in accordance with Illinois’ shelter in place policy. All business will continue as usual. You may notice a delay in response, but you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-795-1002.
We will continue to produce the Hot SHEET newsletter, but there will be a delay in sending the physical copies to those who subscribe. All issues are available digitally at https://ustoo.org/Read-the-HotSheet-Newsletter.
All support groups who are able to do so should be operating via virtual meetings. CLICK HERE for a list of Us TOO support groups that are currently meeting virtually. Please contact the support group leader listed to get the virtual meeting information.
We also recommend connecting with groups via phone through our partners, AnCan. Info on call-in groups can be found at https://www.ustoo.org/Join-a-Phone-Conversation. You can also engage with our online prostate cancer support community at https://www.inspire.com/groups/us-too-prostate-cancer/.
Read "Virtually Everything You Need to Know for Your Support Group to Meet Virtually" which shares some valuable tips on using web conferencing for support groups during social distancing, by Rick Davis, Founder of AnCan.
Read Our Series of Articles on COVID-19 by Dr. Mark Moyad
- 3/13 Coronavirus Part 1 (Hopefully There is No Part 2 Because We Will Have Conquered Corona Quickly)
- 3/19 Coronavirus Part 1.1 (The Countless Unsung Heroes in the Battle to Beat this Thing Has Begun! [aka Almost 100 Clinical Studies and Counting])
- 3/23 Conquering COVID Part 1.2: “Drug Repurposing” clinical studies are happening right now! (aka Hydroxychloroquine, Tocilizumab … & even Viagra Versus COVID-19?)
- 3/27 Conquering COVID Part 1.3: “Starkloff Social Distancing Saves Lives Now!”(aka as the curve becomes critical so does the history lesson)
- 4/2 Conquering COVID Part 1.4: “40+ reasons why a vaccine could & should work?!” (aka the virus is currently NOT a chameleon)
- 4/10 Conquering COVID Part 1.5: “Research has spoken: time for clean, breathable, effective (CBE) mask utilization!” (aka Dodgeball without rules/masks? No thanks!)
- 4/16 Conquering COVID Part 1.6: “Vaccine Repurposing & now 70 potential vaccine candidates?!” (aka the test tube Is half-full, not half-empty)
- 4/24 Conquering COVID Part 1.7: "Now over 900 clinical studies-including a Gout pill?!" (aka a few weeks ago it was 100 clinical studies – the pros & cons of a "natural" medicine)
- 5/1 Conquering COVID Part 1.8 A & B (HBOT Double Issue!): “HBOT for some cancer side effects or COVID-19?!” (aka more medical centers face "pressure” to offer this option)
- 5/12 Conquering COVID Part 1.9 A & B (Another Double Issue): "Sleep & 33% or one-third of your entire life?!" (aka Sleep Health = Better Software Updates & Immune Health)
- 5/27 Conquering COVID Part 2.0: “Saline Nasal Irrigation (SNI)/Nasal Health & GarglingHave Ongoing Clinical Trials?!” (aka Learning from ELVIS & One Researched Reason Why Children Could be More Protected Than Adults)
- 6/24 Conquering COVID Part 2.1: "RECOVERY from COVID-19 looks more promising because of a drug approved in 1958?!" (aka New UK trial teaches us lessons on being selfless, modest, & cheap just like when treating a disease with Citrus Fruits?!)
- 7/15 Conquering COVID Part 2.2: “This pandemic is kind of like the movie Cast Away?!” (aka three things we should be learning or should have learned from this Tom Hanks classic)
- 8/10 Conquering COVID Part 2.3: "Xofluza vs. Tamilfu – who really wins against the flu (influenza)?!" (aka hint: we are all winners in this symbolic battle)
- 11/3 Conquering COVID Part 2.4 (aka the 15th Installment in a Finite Series): "Phase 3 Vaccine Trials are becoming ubiquitous-Time to Score A Touchdown?!" (aka field goals are fine, but touchdowns are better)
- 12/23 Conquering COVID Part 2.5 (aka the 16th Installment in a Finite Series: "Mild Instead of Severe or Catastrophic…I Want That Anytime?!" (aka the Commercial We Should be Seeing on TV)
Our colleagues at The Prostate Health Education Network (PHEN), www.prostatehealthed.org, produced The Coronavirus and Cancer Patients on March 11. The presenter is Keith Crawford, MD, PhD,Dir. Clinical Trials and Patient Education at PHEN. View the video at www.prostatehealthed.org/phen_tv_video.php?tv_id=294. Please feel free to share these articles and the video link widely. They are appropriate for both lay and professional audiences.
Our friends Prostate Cancer Foundation (PCF) kicked off a new series of helpful information for patients and families by talking to PCF-funded researcher Dr. Alicia Morgans, MD, MPH, an oncologist at Northwestern, about tips for navigating your prostate cancer treatment in this time of uncertainty. Visit https://www.pcf.org/covid-19/.
Guidelines from the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN):
- NCCN-Management of PC During the COVID-19 Pandemic (with Glossary)
- Cancer ABCs' COVID-19 Papers
- Ivermectin for COVID-19 Treatment
Please pay attention to all of the CDC recommendations that can be found at